Microdermabrasion belongs to the treatments of mechanical abrasion of the epidermis and/or dermis. It allows for a slow abrasion of the skin surface, one microlayer after another, until the desired level, under constant visual supervision. The treatment is performed with the help of corundum crystals or with a special diamond handpiece. Comparing to other treatments, like, e.g. chemical peels, dermabrasion or laser skin resurfacing, microdermabrasion carries minimal to very few possible side effects or complications, there is no risk of discolouration or scaring, the effects are visible right after the procedure and most patients immediately return to daily activity after a session.
Despite superficial acting of the therapy on the skin, the histological changes observed through an electronic microscope clearly influence not only the epidermis, but also the deeper layers of the dermis. The changes concern thickening of the epidermis and enhancement of the collagen and elasticin synthesis. Thanks to these effects, the therapy is widely used for skin rejuvenation, correction of wrinkles and scars, elimination of discolouration spots, cleansing skin and the treatment of acne.
Unquestionable advantage of the treatment is that it is a fairly simple, easy, painless, short, non-invasive, skin rejuvenation procedure, which does not exclude patients from their everyday life. The microdermabrasion treatment performed by experienced practitioners is exceptionally effective and safe.
Laser-Medica has two diamond microdermabrasion machines. The devices do not use any chemical compounds (e.g. aluminium oxide) and, therefore, may be used in patients with sensitive skin:
DiamondSkin is a machine combining abrasion with a diamond tip (6 types of handpieces), suction source and oxygen.
Diamond Dermabrasion Chima Beauty - is equipped with diamond handpieces and, additionally, ultrasounds and a hot/cold handpiece.
Indications for microdermabrasion:
- common acne (blackheads, papules)
- acne scars
- comedones, milia
- follicular keratosis
- enlarged pores
- atrophic and hypertrophic scars
- discoloration and depigmentation
- rough, keratinized epidermis
- stretch marks
- skin rejuvenation, elimination of fine lines around eyes, lips and neck
- skin flaccidity
- the treatment is an ideal skin preparation for laser treatments: photorejuvenation, dilated, or broken blood vessels and discolouration
Preparation of skin
Before microdermabrasion, there are no special preparations required, however, 5 days prior to the treatment patients are advised to avoid:
- chemical depilatories
- electrolysis, waxing
- rough sponges/brushes for cleaning the face
- facial gels and creams with peeling effect
Make-up is removed from the face, the skin is additionally wiped with boric acid or surgical spirit (in cases of severe seborrhoea). During the procedure, to doctor places a special handpiece on the skin and moves it all over the target skin area to be abraded. The surface of the handpiece is specially coated with a thin layer of real diamonds, while the exfoliation effect is obtained through abrasive action of the diamonds and sucking the skin into the handpiece. The procedure may be complemented by oxygenation of the skin. The oxygen has regenerating and antibacterial properties. In most cases, treatments last about 20 minutes. During one session, target skin area (e.g. face) may undergo abrasion a few times. The whole procedure is painless. At the very beginning, patients experience suction of the skin into the handpiece, then massaging and gentle skin abrasion. In some cases, it is possible to combine microdermabrasion with a chemical peeling.
Adverse effects after microdermabrasion
- sensations of "pins and needles", burning, itching - these will go away quickly
- persistent skin redness (up to 24-48 hours); each following day, the redness subsides. Patients may wear make-up and perform their daily activities
- hypersensitivity of the treated skin
- petechiae in people taking aspirin, or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (up to 24-72 hours)
The influence of microdermabrasion on the skin
- improvement in quality of the skin (structure and tone)
- increased flexibility
- reduction of enlarged skin pores, elimination of blackheads
- softening of fine lines, smoothing of the skin
- removal of skin discolouration caused by the sun (or age spots)
- reduction of seborrhoea
- younger and refreshed skin
Skin care at home
- avoid sunbathing for the first 48 hours following the treatment
- avoid baths in chlorinated water (swimming pools) up to 48 hours after the procedure
- drink 8-12 glasses of mineral water a day (makes the skin more flexible)
- patients with skin discolouration, at intervals between the sessions, should apply preparations containing at least 2% hydroquinone; whitening preparations should be applied 24 hours after each microdermabrasion treatment, twice a day
- you should wear sunscreen with at least SPF 25
Frequency of mesotherapy sessions
- every 2-3 weeks in treatment of acne and post acne marks, the cycle requires 5-10 treatments,
- every 3-4 weeks for skin rejuvenation, a cycle of 5 treatments, it is advised to have 2 sessions a year. In order to maintain the obtained effects, it is advised to undergo microdermabrasion every 4-6 weeks,
- regularly, when/if needed, as cleansing and refreshing the skin.
Microdermabrasion treatments can be performed on all skin types (from oily and acne skins to very sensitive and dry, white to very tanned, from pale to the skin very well supplied with blood) and any part of the body, such as the face, neck, neckline, back, hands or legs. After each session, the condition of the skin gets visibly more and more improved.
The treatment is performed with devices which fulfil both the European (CE) and American (FDA) safety norms.
The diamond tipped handpieces directly contacting the surface of the skin are disinfected and sterilised by autoclaving. The machines for diamond microdermabrasion are novelty on the aesthetic medicine market. Available corundum devices use, among others, aluminium oxide, which may cause allergic reactions in some patients.
Exceptional advantage of the DiamondSkin device is its Oxygen function, enabling saturation of the skin with condensed oxygen during the treatment. Oxygen induces regeneration of the ageing skin through stimulation of the oxygen production. In acne, it inhibits the development of pathogenic anaerobic bacteria on the skin surface (e.g. Propionibacterium acnes), which is one of the etiological causes of acne.
Advantages of microdermabrasion
- safe, controlled depth of abrasion
- stimulation of collagen production
- elimination of pathogenic microorganisms from the surface of the skin (e.g. Propionibacterium acnes)
- the procedure is virtually painless
- possibility to repeat the treatment
- no bleeding or skin trauma
- none or minimal recovery time
- an alternative for the patients who do not tolerate chemical peelings well
Contraindications for microdermabrasion:
- viral skin infections: warts, herpes, molluscum contagiosum (water warts)
- bacterial skin infections: impetigo, sycosis staphylococcal
- fungal infections
- pustular acne, phlegmonous acne
- acne rosacea
- eyelid skin
- excoriations, erosions ( discontinuity of the skin)
- skin cancers and birthmarks
- cavernous haemangiomas
- Roaccutan acne treatment - at least a 3 month break is advised
- skin prone to formation of keloids
- condition after face surgery (up to 2 months)
There are no contraindications in the following cases:
- tanned skin
- skin with visible blood capillaries
examples of post treatment effects: microdermabrasion (performed with DiamondSkin machine)Acne skin conditions
after 2 sessions
after 4 sessions
*Copying and spreading of the photos without the consent of the owner is prohibited.
Contact your doctor promptly if you notice any signs of complications!