Dermatology is a field of medicine, which is dealing with diseases of the skin, mucous membranes and dermal appendages (hair, nails, sweat glands and sebaceous glands). The basic tools to help make the right diagnosis is to gather an accurate interview and check for changes. Skin diseases are diagnosed, among others thanks to the knowledge of the so-called primary eruptions (eg papules, blisters, pustules, blisters) and secondary efflorescence (eg scales, erosion).
Additional research is also helpful in diagnosing skin diseases:
1) mycological, bacteriological,
2) allergy tests,
3) dermatoscopy / videodermatoscopy,
4) histopathological (microscopic evaluation),
5) immunological (specific antibodies in the blood) and immunopathological (specific deposits of immunoglobulins in the skin and / or epidermis),
Dermatology is a very extensive field of medical knowledge, covering a very wide range of diseases. They may have an infectious, genetically determined basis, result from disturbances in the differentiation of skin cells, etc. They can also be the result of systemic diseases that give a specific depiction within the skin.
The most common skin diseases that ambulatory patients report to include:
- ordinary acne,
- atopic dermatitis, eczema,
- seborrheic dermatitis,
- inflammation of follicle,
- fungal infections / yeast infections of the skin and nails,
- excessive hair,
- pigment staining and skin cancer;
In the last decade, due to the huge development of aesthetic dermatology and the emergence of various surgical techniques, a large group of patients report to the dermatological offices with the problem:
- scars (atrophic and hypertrophic),
- stretch marks,
- wrinkles and loss of skin firmness,
- unwanted tattoos;
Venerology is a field of medicine included in dermatology, which specializes in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. In recent years in Poland, the prevalence of viral and chlamydial infections over bacterial (syphilis, gonorrhea) is observed. The most common venereal diseases removed in dermatosurgical offices include genital warts and infectious meconium.